Saturday, July 09, 2005

Its all in the shoes

I've started to run a lot more lately. I usually don't like running, but lately, I find myself enjoying the time to myself running and the great feeling of finishing. However, my shoes are pretty old. I've put some serious mileage into these Nike's, not to mention hours of tennis, raquetball and all sorts of other stuff that one shouldn't do with a running shoe.

The other day, I went to Accademy sports to try on some shoes. I tried on the Nike Free 5.0. Nice shoe, but a bit hard to slip on and off... maybe I needed a bigger size. Oh well, they have mixed reviews anyway.

So this morning I went to the New Balance store. The people there seemed to know their stuff - they watched me walk barefoot and could tell what kind of shoe I needed. I did a little research online. Appearently there are several styles of shoe depending on the type of foot you have. They are called cushoning, motion control, and stability. I have a pretty normal foot so I got the cushioning. Flat footed people need the stability and duck or pigeon footed people need the motion control.

So I bought a pair of shoes and didn't feel bad paying $6 more for the expert advice. I then proceeded to go on a 40 minute run when I got home. Its all in the shoes.

No comments: