Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Malcom Gladwell: What the Dog Saw and other adventures


Perhaps I will get around to re-reading “The Tipping Point” and “Blink,” and continue on to “Outliers.”  But in the mean time, I’ll focus on my current read, “What the Dog Saw.” 



The book is a collection of his articles from The New Yorker.  In many of the articles, Gladwell weaves together seemingly unrelated stories, into a coherent story that challenges the conventional mindset.  It seems as though the book is much the same, that while each topic is different, the way he approaches the problems is similar and there is some larger message to take away.  Its hard to describe what it might be other than “out of the box” or “lateral” thinking, but its something.  How does one better describe that and apply it in the context of their own life? 

With 25 very unique and interesting chapters, there is a bit too much to review in full detail, so I’ll cherry pick.  Over the next posts, I'll share my thoughts on select chapters from the book.  My brief summaries are an injustice to the book.  Buy it.  Or at least check it out from the library.  Nothing you read here will detract from reading the book yourself, there is much more than I mention here.  

No comments: